Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Speaking of Inspiration

So now I have to come clean about something, on this my second-ever posting. I have to admit what finally motivated me to start this blog.

Let me start by telling you that I have been planning since October of last year (2009) to start blogging in some form. I even bought a few books on the subject. In recent years I have developed an aspiration to be a writer. I became intrigued by the idea several years ago while taking a writing class at my community college (a requirement for a degree I was working on at the time). My instructor felt I had at least a modicum of talent for it and encourged me to switch my focus of study to journalism. I did not give the idea much thought at the time, but in more recent years the idea has resurfaced and has taken root in my heart.

The problem, however, was where to start? What was I going to write? A novel? Magazine or newspaper articles? I was clueless. So started the research, which led to the idea of blogging, which led to...well, you get the idea.

So why has it taken so long for me to finally do something with the idea? I guess it would be that age-old enemy of productivity and success: procrastination.

But I digress. I started this post with stating that I had something of a confession to make. What finally prompted me to start this blog? I watched "Julie & Julia"  last week.

Yes, I know that this movie has inspired so many others to do the same, so why am I any different or special, right? I don't think for a second that I am. No, I do not expect a movie to be made about me. Nor do I expect any book deals or interviews or anything spectacular to happen as a result of this blog.  All I expect is that I will finally get moving. In some direction. Which is better than not moving at all.

P.S. I would like to extend my apologies now if this post seems out of focus or choppy. It is 2am and my mind is not as clear as it should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment