Friday, March 19, 2010

The Perfect Sick Day

This really wasn't what I had in mind for a post today but since I am sick, it seemed appropriate...

So, I have come down with a cold. And of course, I had to work today. Now, I am not a fan of my job anyway, so imagine how difficult it was not to call in sick. I woke up before my alarm due to the fact I could not breathe, so my inner debate started at that point and ended with me sitting in my car, key in the ignition, to head to work. I spent a great deal of time debating about whether I should suffer through the day at work or stay home with my biggest blanket and a cup of tea. Against my better judgement, work won out.

As my drive brought me closer to work, I began to lament my decision. What was I thinking?? I started to think of all of the things I could be doing, instead of going to a job I hate anyway--curling up on the sofa with my big, comfy blanket, sipping a good herbal tea and watching some good movies. The call of my soft pajamas and fluffy pillow were still beckoning me even as I pulled into my parking space at work. Too late...

Sitting at my desk feeling miserable, I started to mentally put together my idea of the perfect sick day: I would sleep in until noon (after all, rest is good for recovery). After a long, warm shower I would migrate to the living room sofa with pillow and blanket in hand (in my softest, fluffiest pajamas, of course). I would light a few candles (just because) and the rest of my day would be spent curled up as warm and toasty as could be (I hate being cold when I am sick), watching some good Lifetime movies--you know, the ones that are based on real-life stories--and reading a good book. In between the movie-watching and the book reading I would have to catch a few catnaps (remember the recovery?), have some good homemade soup and drink hot herbal tea. My day would end by dragging my sorry sick butt back to where I started--bed. Sounds simple, but heavenly...especially right now.

For me, being sick is about the only time it is totally acceptable to sit around in your pjs all day and do absolutely nothing. I mean, no one would ever begrudge a sick person his/her recovery time, right? Yes, there are "lazy days", but those don't ever seem to be the same since there always seems to be that small, nagging voice that tells us we really should do something. Even when we try to tell ourselves that we deserve a lazy, care-free day that guilt kicks in and manages to mess it up just a little. As pathetic as it sounds, I actually don't mind being sick sometimes, just for this reason!

Now if you will excuse me, my pajamas, pillow and blanket are calling me....


Does anyone else have a perfect sick day? If so, I would love to hear what it is!

Please post a comment describing your perfect sick day.

(Does anyone else think about this stuff or is it just me??)

No comments:

Post a Comment