Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Let's Talk Motivation!


I am still fighting my cold and still not feeling so good. Even so, I have decided I really need to develop a brighter outlook on life. I don't think of myself as a necessarily negative person (although I readily admit I have my moments!!), but I also know that my frustration with certain elements of my life (ie: work) are taking its toll.

So during my recovery (read: laying on the sofa with the comfy blanket, cup of tea and my laptop) I have been researching tips on motivation and inspiration. There is so much information out there, too--from Anthony Robbins to "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. There is certainly no shortage of information out there, to say the least.

Ok, so I will admit that I have read "The Secret" (ok, to even further confess, I own a copy) and I have listened to Anthony Robbins. There is no doubt that either can leave one feeling inspired, motivated. My problem (and I suspect many other people experience this, too) is how do you stay motivated?

From what I have gleaned so far in my "research" here are a few tips that are supposed to help one to stay motivated:
  • Be specific in your goal. "I want to lose ten pounds and have toned arms and thighs" is a lot better than "I want to lose weight" or " I want to get into shape"
  • Know the answer to: Why? Why do you want to accomplish your goal? To fit into your "skinny" jeans again? To reduce your risk of heart disease? Being able to remember "Why" you are doing something will help you push the plate away or get through that extra set of sit-ups. Several authors  have suggested making a list of reasons to keep you going, which I think it a great idea!
  • Celebrate! Reward yourself frequently for making progress, not just for the big milestones. Just make sure your rewards aren't counter-productive (indulging in a hot fudge sundae is not the best reward for the 45 minute work-out you just had). Studies suggest that if you make the process less miserable and more fun, the more likely you are to stick to it...and succeed.
  • Make it fun! This sounds a little like the last suggestion, but I think it bears repeating. Very few people have the resolve to stick to something that is awful and sucks (and those people wouldn't need a list like this anyway!) Studies overwhelmingly suggest that the more fun you make something, the more likely you are to succeed. So make a list of ways exercise can be fun (work-out with a friend? Maybe hike in a gorgeous park instead of trudging along on the boring treadmill? Have a pot-luck at work featuring lo-cal recipes?)
I know that my suggestions have examples that are geared toward weight-loss or exercise, but really these principles can be applied to any goal one wishes to accomplish.

Anyway, I figured I would share some of my insight here. I am sure this is nothing new to most people, but I felt compelled to share it anyway. It is a good lead-in to my next poll anyway! :)

4 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, some finding that a healthy perspective is the perfect diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot a very important one: find support!! A buddy to work with, a family member, or a trainer. Having someone to be both your cheerleader and your external conscience can be hugely motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! It was great to hear I'm not the only one with frustrations. I hope you recover from your cold soon though, there's nothing worse than being sick. Just stay positive - it's amazing how much your mood effects your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry just found your blog. Pray helps me always. I followed you. Could you follow back please!

    ReplyDelete